Starbucks Takes Action to Commemorate World Water Day

Every year on 22 March, we commemorate World Water Day to take action in tackling the global water crisis. The official site of World Water Day (worldwaterday.org) states that 1.8 billion people worldwide don't have access to clean drinking water and instead have to resort to drinking water contaminated with faeces, putting them at risk

Sari Widiati

Where Grace and Beauty Meet

For one week, the finalists of the Puteri Indonesia 2017 pageant called the Sultan Hotel & Residence their home, as they went through rounds of activities that culminated with the crowning night on 31 March – an unforgettable memory for the young women as well as their hosts at the five-star hotel. “We are very

AWA Hosts Business Skills Training for University Students

AWA’s Social Welfare committee hosted its “Community Day” activity with the launch of a one-day business skills training course for sponsored university students in April. Social Welfare Chairperson Nicole Thompson said that, according to feedback from Indonesian employers, many students lack the basic skills that would allow them to qualify for and succeed in job interviews

How to Help A Stray Pet

Many dogs and cats out there may have homes and doting owners, but not stray dogs and cats, who often live in ill-fated environments, suffering from diseases and cruelty. Thanks to a few caring hearts, action is being taken to provide them with veterinary care and a loving touch. But as the number of stray

Indonesia At Play-Calendar 2018 Photo Competition and Exhibition

The Indonesian Heritage Society (IHS) held its annual competition earlier this year to select the 13 photographs that will grace the pages of our upcoming calendar.  The theme for our 2018 calendar is “Indonesia at Play”, and the entries from our members certainly lived up to expectations with images of adults and children alike, in

Opening Hearts and Homes at Rumah-Ku

“The Indonesian Heritage Society and Rumah-Ku is giving me a very meaningful way of learning more about Indonesia, its rich culture, fascinating history and contemporary political and social issues. The warmth and friendliness of the people of Indonesia is a joy and makes Jakarta a fabulous place to live. My co-chair Lilis Sulis and I

Living Lao : Through the Lens of Service Work

Travelling anywhere in Southeast Asia, you will experience similar things. However, if you step off the tourist trail, you can encounter something unique. Photo courtesy of Maja Phillips/NOW!JAKARTA On a recent trip to Laos, I discovered a whole new aspect of Southeast Asia – a way of living I had never seen before. Living in Indonesia

Send Your Love Poetry. Join the Contest NOW!

Valentine's Day is just around the corner – the perfect opportunity to tell your loved ones how much you care. Get creative and join our poetry contest! Your poems can be short or long, funny or romantic, joyful or sad: it is entirely up to you. The three best entries will win a dining voucher

A Brighter Future 
for Indonesia’s Children

The Hoshizora Foundation, based in Yogyakarta and founded in 2006 by a group of Indonesian students living in Japan, is committed to providing access to education for all Indonesian children. Photo courtesy of Hoshizora Foundation/NOW!JAKARTA So far, Hoshizora has reached out to more than 2000 children and over 1000 individuals and organizational sponsors to work together,

Komunitas Taufan Spreads The Power of a Smile

The loss of a child is the most devastating experience a parent can face – a piece of them is lost, the future forever changed.   Photo courtesy of Komunitas Taufan/NOW!JAKARTA Yeni Dewi Mulyaningsih, commonly referred to as Bu Yanie, lost her son Taufan in June 2013 to AML Leukemia. Taufan was a patient at

Women’s March 2018 Unites Community, Fights for Eight Critical Demands

For the second year, women-and men- gathered in the hundreds on Saturday, 3 March, to rally across Central Jakarta demanding equal rights for women around the country.  Initiated by rights groups in the lead up to International Women’s Day on 8 March, this year’s event highlighted eight main issues, and saw a stronger,more diverse turnout.

BUILDING HOMES: A Service Trip Filled With Smiles

Siem Reap, Cambodia. As soon as you step off that plane you get a huge ‘whoosh’ of warm air. Of course, you start sweating almost immediately. Photo courtesy of iStock/NOW!JAKARTA This was no ordinary trip. None of the ‘typical tourist activities’ were done. I didn’t take a trick picture that made it look like I

Now Bali
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR MONTHLY NEWSLETTER TO GET THE LATEST UPDATES.
SUBSCRIBE