Among the most in-demand superfoods during this global pandemic is honey. In addition to being a natural remedy to relieve pain, the World Health Organization claimed that honey helps reduce skin inflammation and relieve irritation of the mucous membranes in the mouth by forming a protective film in the throat, thus helping for a speedy recovery in sore throats.
Honey has been used for centuries as both medicinal product as well as food, but which type of honey is good for you? Raw honey is produced from nectar from flowers, it is pure, unpasteurised, unprocessed and with no additives preserving all the natural vitamins, such as enzymes, phytonutrients and other nutritional elements which plays a vital role in our health and healing. Different honeys have different benefits depending on the source of their nectar.
Introducing BeeMa Honey, a honey producer focused on producing pure, natural and sustainable organic raw honey! Founded in April 2017 by Fransisca Natalia and Jeremy Cooper, the brand offers an artisan range of deliciously healthy single origin organic raw honeys, which is produced on pesticide-free plants and free of any chemical contamination and pollution.
BeeMa Honey produces six main artisan honeys. Cotton blossom, Rambutan blossom and Cajuput cinnamon produced by European honey bees that are rotated through organic plantations throughout the year. Bees are seasonal. If it is the rambutan season, bee hives are placed in the rambutan orchard when the trees are ready to blossom. The bees will suck nectar (raw honey) from the flowers, returning to the hive and transferring to other bees who will store the honey in honeycombs. Once the flowers have turned into fruits the hives are harvested and relocated to another plantation. We pay a fair trade to the beekeepers so that they have a better life condition and remain motivated to produce pure honey.
Java forest honey is produced by Asian honey bees with hives placed on the outskirts of the forest, whilst Black forest honey is produced by wild giant bees known as Apis dorsata that forage for nectar deep in the forests and produce honey that is rich in antioxidants.
Java Trigona is a special and rare species of stingless bee that produce medicinal honey with high antibacterial levels and a unique citrusy, sweet-sour taste.
Other products include bee pollen, honeycomb, royal jelly and black garlic honey full of antioxidant flavonoids and anti-inflammatory substances. Detox Charcoal honey contains activated edible charcoal powder which is great for your weekly detox.
Beema honey is now available in Ranch Market outlets in Jakarta, Surabaya and Malang as well as Aeon supermarkets, Pepito Bali and many other organic store resellers in Java, Bali, Kalimantan and Sulawesi. Find it as well through online ordering services like Tokopedia (tokopedia.com/tjsuperfood), Shopee (shopee.co.id/tjsuperfoods) and Blibli.com, and get your honey delivered to your door.
Cooking Ideas Using Honey
Cotton Blossom Honey Lemonade
- 4.5 cups water (1065 ml)
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup honey (107 – 160 grams)
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (240ml) – from about 4 – 7 large lemons
- Warm the water and 1/3 cup honey in a pot or saucepan over low heat. Stir to dissolve the honey and once dissolved, remove from the heat. This should only take about a minute.
- Add the lemon juice and stir. Add more honey, if desired.
- Chill and serve.
Whipped Riccotta with Cotton Blossom Honey and Strawberries
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 3 tablespoon BeeMa cotton blossom honey
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups fresh strawberries
- 3 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Divide ricotta mixture among 6 wineglasses. Top with berries and serve.
- Blend ricotta, cream cheese, 2 tablespoons sugar, honey, and vanilla in processor until smooth. Transfer to bowl. Cover bowl and refrigerate until ricotta mixture is slightly set, about 2 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated. Stir before using.)
- Combine strawberries, lemon juice and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in large bowl; toss to coat. Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature.
Grha Adhi Media Unit #5
Jalan Deplu Raya No. 6, South Jakarta
T: +62 815 8600 1336