The Jakarta Library with modern and aesthetically pleasing looks, aims to build a new ecosystem and becomes a friendly facilitator for the people of Jakarta in learning, working and growing together.
The Jakarta Library and the HB Jassin Literary Documentation Center, which is present as a new look for Taman Ismail Marzuki was born as a form to improve the literacy culture of the community of Jakarta while at the same time introducing the works of artists and humanists.
After being renovated in 2019 and officially inaugurated in the middle of last year, the library has attracted the attention of the public, especially young people who are not just looking for reading material but have used this place as a space to work, seek inspiration and be creative.
Designed by renowned architect Andra Matin, this library consists of three floors with warm and modern interiors, located on the 4th, 5th and 6th floor location include a location for the H.B. Jassin Literary Document Center at the Gedung Panjang. The library collects more than 138,000 books consists of various genres includes children’s books and books about Jakarta that are relevant and in accordance with the needs of the community.
Facilities on the 4th floor not only provide books and reading materials, but also provide a playroom for children and are divided into indoor and outdoor. Special indoor space for children aged under five.
A number of facilities or spaces also can be used by visitors, such as multifunctional room, story room, and private reading room, special space for visitors who need a separate place to read or finish their work. Then, there is also a podcast room, broadcast room, discussion rooms, and computer room. This library is also friendly to people with special needs by providing access and a special room for them to read or do other activities. Not only providing books in Braille, but also computers and audio-visual equipment are also provided.
How to Visit the Jakarta Library:
The following things must be considered when heading to the Jakarta Library:
- Take the stairs to the 2nd floor of the Gedung Panjang, then take the escalator to the 3rd floor. Enter the door to the right of the escalator’s arrival near the temperature detection machine.
- Do the check-in process on the available machines. The process is by printing a QR barcode after an online reservation.
- G to the service and information section to scan the QR barcode. Then, goods will be checked. Visitors are only allowed to bring essential items such as wallets, gadgets and stationery to enter the library.
- Carry-on bags containing other items will be stored in the lockers and exchanged for transparent bags and locker cards
- the check-in process is complete, visitors will be directed to take the escalator to the 4th floor which houses the Jakarta Library.
The library can be visited by all people of all ages and backgrounds, including foreigners. For those who wish to visit, the library only accepts 300 people per session with the applicable health protocol rules. Visitors must have the PeduliLindungi application and make a visit reservation online through Jaklitera’s page: perpustakaan.jakarta.go.id and fill the personal datas.
The Jakarta Library allows the visitors to read and borrow the books directly. To enjoy the book service facilities, you need to register for digital membership of the Jakarta Library. By becoming a library member, you can also enjoy access to other library services, such as using multifunctional rooms and operating available computers.
Jalan Cikini Raya No. 73
Komplek Taman Ismail Marzuki
Open from 9 am to 5 pm. During national and public holidays, the library is closed.